Thursday 30 November 2017

Music & Report Cards


As it is report card time (and we have spent this week continuing to work on our Christmas Concert songs ... No Spoilers from me!), I thought I'd post a little bit about assessment in my music class and give you a little peek into my own music experiences.

You will see that there are three parts to your child(ren)'s music report:
Skills: Demonstrates and uses a variety of skills in a range of assignments
Creating: Applies creative process to create and perform
Responding: Communicates feelings, ideas, understanding

Skills means that they show an understanding of music elements like dynamics (volume), tempo (speed), rhythm (the pattern of notes), and more.

Creating is the actual making of music; the singing of songs and playing of instruments.  

Responding includes listening, repeating, and expressing their own thoughts and feelings about music.  Responding is moving and dancing.  Responding is drawing and writing.

All three of these areas are part of being a musician.  As a musician and music teacher, I believe, it is important to consider each area individually and together.  For example, in Kindergarten and grade 1, little musicians are still developing their skills while often quite enthusiastic at creating and/or responding to music.  It can take time for these areas to all catch up with each other.  

I am an example of this.
My Kindergarten teacher told my parents I couldn't carry a tune (though she did give me "satisfactory" on my report card) and apparently my sense of rhythm was just developing, too (though, I can honestly say, I can't think of any instances I've needed to be able to gallop as an adult).

 
from Ms.Hayward's actual Kindergarten Report Card
Fast forward "a number" of years later when my "Skills, Creating, and Responding" all came together and I took to the stage ...

No comments:

Post a Comment